Omaha Healthy Kids Alliance Addresses Importance of Keeping Homes Pest Free
Through their commitment to make homes safe and healthy, the Omaha Healthy Kids Alliance (http://omahahealthykids.org/) recently addressed the importance of keeping homes pest free and shared a couple tips on doing so. Having pests in the home has an adverse impact on the health of the family. Not only do pests carry disease, but they are a symptom trigger for anyone with asthma or allergies. All pests seek food, water, and shelter. By eliminating their access to these things, you can eliminate pests from your home. Even if you do not have pests in your home, it is important that you follow these preventive steps to keep your home pest free.
To keep your home pest free:
- Seal cracks and openings throughout the home to take away potential places for pests to hide once within the home
- Keep food stored in airtight containers
- Avoid using cardboard containers to store clothing and other items as cardboard serves as a food source for many pests
If you have pests in your home:
- Use tricky-traps and baits in closed containers
- Avoid using toxic pesticides or chemicals as these could have negative impacts on the health of family members, particularly those with asthma or allergies.
If you are concerned about pests in your home, the Omaha Healthy Kids Alliance invites you to sign up for their wait list to have one of their staff perform a Healthy Home Assessment using their eight principles to evaluate the health of your home. More information can be found at omahahealthykids.org or by calling (402) 934-9700.