Big Birge Plumbing – Why Are Plumbers So Expensive?
Your plumber is like a doctor for your home…
The circulatory system of your body is a lot like the plumbing in your home! Water circulates through your house in the pipes and valves, which are like your home’s veins and arteries, all making up your home’s plumbing system. This system is what supplies your home’s “organs,” like the sinks and bathtubs, washing machines, and even your radiators with the water they need to function properly. Whenever a water leak or obstruction occurs, it’s important to get it checked out by a plumber, before a much bigger problem occurs.
From experience, we have learned customers really like knowing what something will cost ahead of time instead of being surprised at the end of the service.
On top of the cost to hire on someone as skilled as a journeyman plumber, many people often forget what else falls into the cost of paying plumbers for their time and expertise. Plumbing companies must also be able to afford:
- Taxes (Payroll, federal and state)
- Employee Benefits (Company match 401k, PTO, paid holidays, bonuses, company parties, etc.)
- Insurance (liability, workman’s comp, and health)
- Continuing education
- Fully stocked vehicle & fuel to get to the jobs
- Repairs and Maintenance
- Materials & tools to do the work
- Labor (support staff in addition to actual plumber if needed)
- Lawyer, accountant, etc.
- Office supplies (Computers, programs, etc.)
- Rent and utilities (equipment storage, meeting space, and an office)
“As a growing plumbing company, our goal is to create a business in which we have the best plumbers in Omaha working for us. We do this by paying a very competitive hourly wage with benefits instead of a commission-based salary. This way our plumbers only need to worry about providing the best service they can for the work that needs to be done. Our plumbers are not incentivized to sell something that our customer doesn’t need and because of that our customers will never feel taken advantage of! We have implemented a flat rate price structure that allows us to give upfront pricing to our customers so there are no surprises when the job is done. Our pricing is not the most expensive or the least expensive, however, we stay competitive in the market by doing a lot of research and comparing our rates to others. As a result, we will be able to continue to provide for our team members and their families that rely on them. We want our customers to be proud to support our business and feel good about it!” – Brad and Lallenia Birge
Plumbing is such a dynamic trade/profession. There is a lot for the plumbers need to take in, understand, and problem solve, as every house and plumbing system is entirely different from another. The average home is made up of many plumbing systems, including:
- Waste and vent systems in the walls, below your home, and penetrating the roof.
- Gas lines in the attic, walls, and connected to appliances.
- Water lines snaking through the home and out to the street and irrigation.
- Toilets, faucets, water heaters, tubes, valves, and pumps.
If you hire the right plumber, you might only need to see him or her every 4–6 years, saving you money in the long run. Much like a good doctor, an experienced plumber stresses prevention and educates you on what symptoms to look out for, and how to keep your plumbing system healthy.
Service Areas include: Omaha, Elkhorn, Bennington, Ralston, Papillion, Gretna, Valley, and Wahoo.