Red Cross Accepts Nominations for 2021 Heroes in the Heartland to Honor Locals
The American Red Cross (redcross.org/local/Nebraska) is accepting nominations for its 2021 Heroes in the Heartland, which will be awarded during a virtual event on March 9. Through this program, the Red Cross annually honors a handful of individuals or groups in the Omaha-Council Bluffs metro area who have done something extraordinary in the last year or who have dedicated their lives to serving others in need. During 2020, so many people have stepped up to help others, and the Red Cross wants to honor these individuals or groups. Following are the categories of Heroes in the Heartland in which you can nominate:
- Call to Action – Presented to an individual who, by circumstances beyond their control, found themselves in a challenging situation and demonstrated extraordinary courage.
- Commitment to Community – Presented to an individual, couple, group, or organization that has made a tremendous impact on the community through their volunteerism, philanthropy, service to others, or example.
- Disaster Relief – Presented to an individual or organization who has served an important role in disaster relief in our community.
- Gift of Life – Presented to an individual, couple, group, or organization that supports the lifesaving mission through personal blood or platelet donations or inspiring others to give blood or platelets.
- Good Samaritan – Presented to an individual who is considered a hero because of their unselfish devotion and concern for the welfare of others.
- Lifetime Hero – Presented to an individual who inspires others by their example. This individual has overcome hardship, risen above challenges, or dedicated their life to serving others.
- Public Servant Hero – Presented to an individual who, in the line of duty (police, fire, military, medical, etc.) went above and beyond the call.
Each day, the American Red Cross is active in the community, serving those in need. To nominate a Hero in the Heartland, visit redcross.org/local/Nebraska and click on “2021 Heroes in the Heartland” under the About Us tab.