Every year, the Nebraska Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® awards grants to nonprofit organizations across the state to support breast health education, screening, and treatment programs. Komen Nebraska has recently completed their 2011 grant cycle, during which Komen Nebraska awarded over $560,000 in 2011 to twelve nonprofit organizations across the state, for breast health education, screening, and treatment programs. The impact these funded programs made affected almost 17,000 Nebraska women and men to date.
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Nebraska Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen Nebraska Race for the Cure, the Nebraska Affiliate has invested over $6 million in community breast cancer programs in a 91-county area encompassing all of Nebraska, excluding Thurston and Dakota.
Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in Nebraska. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research.
For more information about the Nebraska Affiliate of Susan G. K0men for the Cure®, please call (402) 502-2979 or visit their official website at www.komennebraska.org.