Your One Stop Events Spot in Omaha
- This event has passed.
21st Omaha Women’s Health & Wellness Conference
October 12 @ 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
The 21st annual Omaha Women’s Health and Wellness Conference will be held Friday, Oct. 12, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the La Vista Conference Center, 12520 Westport Parkway, Omaha.
The theme of the conference is “All About You – Shaping Your Wellness Perspective” and will feature three main sessions and six health education sessions. The conference offers new health insights, encouraging and empowering messages, health screenings, exhibits and fellowship.
The conference, which is hosted by the Olson Center for Women’s Health, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Nebraska Medicine, University of Nebraska at Omaha and WELLCOM, will kick off with a continental breakfast and morning health fair with more than 40 vendors offering health screenings, education, demonstrations, massage, consultation, and products available for purchase.
Low-cost screenings including lipid and glucose profile and complete blood count, will be available (low cost) and flu shots.
Breakfast keynote speaker will be Marcia Adler, Ph.D., R.N., instructor at the UNO School of Health and Kinesiology. Her talk titled, “How to Design a Peak Performance Body Using the Eight Dimensions of Wellness,” will provide insight and strategies for dealing with life’s challenges and achieving personal goals, using a life balance approach.
General session speaker will be Sheila Ryan, Ph.D., R.N., professor and director of international programs at the UNMC College of Nursing. In her talk, “Cultural Humility…What It Is and Isn’t,” she will share insight into her world travels and how to make the most of humility and curiosity.
The closing session speaker, Angie Jorgensen, will share her story of hope following experiences as a heart attack, stroke and tumor survivor in a talk titled, “From Flatlining to Silver Lining.”
Attendees will have three morning breakout sessions and three afternoon breakout sessions to choose from.
Morning sessions and topics will feature:
- Allison Dering-Anderson, Pharm.D., clinical associate professor, UNMC College of Pharmacy, medical cannabinoids (marijuana) — the claims and verified medical uses for the various components of marijuana, including a newly approved drug from the FDA;
- Julie Kalkowski, social worker, Financial Hope Collaborative, how being educated on financial issues can reduce financial stress and improve health outcomes; and
- Megan Arthur, M.D., assistant professor, UNMC Department of Dermatology, the increasing prevalence of skin cancer and how to prevent and detect skin cancer, the most common cancer in the United States.
Afternoon sessions and topics include:
- Jonathon Sikorski, Ph.D., assistant professor, UNMC Department of Psychiatry, how to be resilient in the digital age with information overload, anxiety and self-doubt, and how to identify disruptive thoughts and behaviors and overcome them;
- Melanie Stewart, of the UNMC/Nebraska Medicine Facilities Management and Planning, how sustainability is important to health; and
- Bunny Pozehl, Ph.D., A.P.R.N., professor of nursing, UNMC College of Nursing, how to understand cardiovascular risk, keep the heart healthy and recognize and evaluate symptoms related to cardiovascular problems.
Platinum financial sponsors of the conference are Essentials Natural Family Health and Heartland Center for Reproductive Health.